Lesson 6: The Draw OOP
So I've finally got a poker hand for all you NL players...
NL $600 (6max)
I get dealt AJd in the bb. A decent agressive player makes it 22 on the button. SB (looseish player) calls. I call in the bb.
Flop: Ac Td 5d
SB checks. In the past, my standard line here has been to ch/call versus a bet from the button. And lead any turn if it gets checked through. The trouble with this line is that out of position, it's a lot harder to get paid off when I make my flush. And if the turn blanks, calling a pot sized turn bet becomes -EV if he holds AK.
I bet 35 into 66 pot. My plan is to get raised and 3-bet. If I win the pot here that's good, and if the button slowplays a monster (incorrectly), I'm getting to draw to the nuts for a cheap price.
Button raises quickly to 133. SB folds.
Now here's where you have to know a little about equity. If the button holds TT, my equity is 30%. AA also has me screwed, but it's less likely since I have the case A. What's more interesting is my equity vs the rest of his range that's ahead of me right now: AK, AQ, A5s. I used to think that my equity vs this range wasn't that great. But actually I'm 52% vs A5, and I'm 47% vs. AK and 48% vs. AQ. When you factor in 1) the dead money in the pot 2) my tight image, giving me good fold equity versus a hand like AQ 3) how hard it is to get paid off OOP if i call, this becomes an easy push (unless I read him for TT). He insta called with A5, and I won my 52.5-45 flip.
NL $600 (6max)
I get dealt AJd in the bb. A decent agressive player makes it 22 on the button. SB (looseish player) calls. I call in the bb.
Flop: Ac Td 5d
SB checks. In the past, my standard line here has been to ch/call versus a bet from the button. And lead any turn if it gets checked through. The trouble with this line is that out of position, it's a lot harder to get paid off when I make my flush. And if the turn blanks, calling a pot sized turn bet becomes -EV if he holds AK.
I bet 35 into 66 pot. My plan is to get raised and 3-bet. If I win the pot here that's good, and if the button slowplays a monster (incorrectly), I'm getting to draw to the nuts for a cheap price.
Button raises quickly to 133. SB folds.
Now here's where you have to know a little about equity. If the button holds TT, my equity is 30%. AA also has me screwed, but it's less likely since I have the case A. What's more interesting is my equity vs the rest of his range that's ahead of me right now: AK, AQ, A5s. I used to think that my equity vs this range wasn't that great. But actually I'm 52% vs A5, and I'm 47% vs. AK and 48% vs. AQ. When you factor in 1) the dead money in the pot 2) my tight image, giving me good fold equity versus a hand like AQ 3) how hard it is to get paid off OOP if i call, this becomes an easy push (unless I read him for TT). He insta called with A5, and I won my 52.5-45 flip.

5 Comments:
It strikes me that your play here is pretty standard ... I might have given strong consideration to a check-raise, but that's probably because my image at the table would be a little looser than yours and I could expect a call in that situation from an A-9 (or maybe even A-8). But I don't think there's any question that yours was the best play in this situation.
I'm more interested to know what you would do in the villain's situation. If I was playing against you, I'm not sure I make that call after your re-raise. Maybe with A-10, but I'd still have to figure that at worst I'm in a coinflip (which would be the case), because I couldn't imagine someone with your profile making a push with a big ace.
So, do you call your own bet in that situation?
- Doyle
EDIT: I meant to say "at best a coinflip."
Basically the interesting thing about the hand, for me, is realizing how good my equity is versus a better Ace. And how big a mistake it is to just check/ call.
If I'm villain, it's a tough spot...the fact that I move in makes it look like a flush draw that wants to see 2 cards, but I could also play TT this way. It's basically a tough spot where you have to make a read. 2 pair probably has a hard time folding.
But again, lead, 3 betting AI is a lot better than a check raise IMO. If you check raise and villain calls and the turn bricks, you're going to be put in a spot where you're priced in to get the money in while behind. (And it's a lot more likely that villain has a big ace than a hand like A9.)
-Ari
I would have doubled down.
Holy hell - how did I ever win any money at a table with you, Ari? Who knew all this was buzzing around in your head? Maybe I just won Ric's money when he was drunk. Clearly I don't know how to play poker.
Post a Comment
<< Home