another KICK to the dome
Just a quick note, as I have no time to be blogging right now. I just capped off one of the most miserable weeks of writing all time. I killed myself trying to revise a story that I was almost happy with. But, believing some (probably correct) bullshit about raising the stakes, I decided to make story-fucking-altering changes to this near satisfactory (i.e. perfect) story. The results were not pretty. The day of the deadline, I was contemplating whether to kill or merely maim one of my three main characters. Then it was whether to jump ahead to deliver my ending five years removed from the events of the story or in nebulous would or dream time. No. No. No. Even to my sleep-deprived brain, that sounded like garbage. Instead, I tacked on the old ending, then inexplicably deleted some of the useful, possibly crucial, exposition. The encore to this was my attempt to pen a 30-page screenplay in under 5 hours. Suffice to say, I came up a bit short. About 22 pages short…Yeah, I’m that asshole.
But back to the story—this is the second time of late, I have been really, really, really unhappy trying to complete a story for a workshop deadline. It’s an ominous sign when someone about to complete his creative writing degree is grinding his teeth at his inability to produce something, anything good for workshop. One would think such a writer would have progressed in skill, or at the very least have accumulated a pool of written work, which could be substitute workshopped in such emergencies. No. No. No. And let us say we know of the vices that tempt those such as your humble narrator. Do no make the calculations (30hrs x $60 = 1.8 much, much, much more enjoyable Ks!); do not contemplate what ifs…Become nocturnal, blow off what friends you have. Rise at midnight to a breakfast of Jack-in-the-Box and begin another story.
But back to the story—this is the second time of late, I have been really, really, really unhappy trying to complete a story for a workshop deadline. It’s an ominous sign when someone about to complete his creative writing degree is grinding his teeth at his inability to produce something, anything good for workshop. One would think such a writer would have progressed in skill, or at the very least have accumulated a pool of written work, which could be substitute workshopped in such emergencies. No. No. No. And let us say we know of the vices that tempt those such as your humble narrator. Do no make the calculations (30hrs x $60 = 1.8 much, much, much more enjoyable Ks!); do not contemplate what ifs…Become nocturnal, blow off what friends you have. Rise at midnight to a breakfast of Jack-in-the-Box and begin another story.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home